THE POWER OF RED NAILS

2:57 PM

Photo by Rocky Morgan
     As with most of the important things that have happened to me, the way I wear and care for my nails now started by accident. It happened because I was staying at my friend Mandy's house for a few weeks before going back to college for my senior year. Of all things to forget, I forgot nail clippers. For most people this would not matter; but my hair and nails grow like bamboo (that is, alarmingly fast). And despite my occasional outspokenness on matters such as Taylor Swift's inability to match her accessories, I am very shy when it comes to asking for what I need. So I didn't ask to borrow her nail clippers. Mandy's, that is. Not Taylor's. I did, however, have a nail file. And because I was marathoning Mad Men with Mandy's mom, I subconsciously began to shape my nails in the long, slightly pointed oval shape of Betty Draper. And then, because I thought they looked funny unpainted, I painted them the only color I had, which was a metallic red. 

     And there it began. Red nails have become as integral to my sense of style as long hair, high-waisted silhouettes, and top-handle purses. Which is to say, an absolute signature. I do sometimes wear a light pink, but in the main, I wear bright red, coral, or burgundy. It's funny how big a difference something like nail polish can make in your day-to-day life. The writer Marian Keyes said in an interview with journalist Sali Hughes that wearing bright nail polish is like having sweets cellophaned to the tips of your fingers, and that even when she hasn't any makeup on, bright nail polish helps to cheer her. And I agree.

     Red is one of those colors that can stand for thousands of things--fast food chains use it in their branding to make us hungry, and just think of what a name like Scarlett conveys--but to me it means power. And I don't normally think of myself as all that powerful. I know in an absolute sense I am, because I have hot water and a car to drive and a surplus of food and the right to vote and everything, but in my interactions with other people I get very nervous and shy. I like the idea that long, Gothic-arch shaped, bright red nails project a different image of me. You know, a woman with red nails is unafraid to call a guy an ass if he's being one. Her glares are like arrows in full flight, and her smiles are like an invitation from the Queen or something. 

     Some tips for shaping your nails like Betty (Hofstadt) Draper (Francis): 
Get a metal nail file. Those cheap-ass floral emery boards are no good. 
File in one direction rather than sawing back and forth to prevent snagging. It takes longer but it's worth it.
File the very corners of your nails as far down as you can, and only touch the tips slightly to smooth out the shape. Rather than filing your nails into all-out claws and then having to smooth out a sharp tip, work from the outside in. 
A strengthening base coat will help you grow out your nails if they are brittle or weak. I would advise against getting gel manicures simply because everyone I know who gets them says they're hard on your nails long-term.
My FAVORITE, ride-or-die, take-with-me-to-a-desert-island red is Revlon Red by Revlon (I know it sounds redundant. I felt silly even typing it. Moving on). She's Pampered by Essie is cooler in tone and completely beautiful, but I find that their packaging causes the polish to dry out faster than any other brand I've used. OPI excels at reds as well, especially darker ones.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images